6S Champion duties include:
The primary focus of the 6S Champion is to develop and support a culture of safety and continuous improvement. Working with all aspects of the facility to constantly strive to improve the safety culture and eliminate waste, improve customer satisfaction, and reduce cost via the use of Lean tools and continuous improvement methodologies. This position will focus on the value stream’s performance improvements that yield zero accidents, defect free products, and on time delivery.
- With the Plant Manager and Regional Safety Manager, formulates general safety policies and procedures to be followed by company or plant personnel in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Leads and participates in the Plant Safety Committee and 6S Committee.
- Consults with all departments on use of equipment, fire prevention and safety program.
- Inspects or tours facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventative measures where indicated.
- Participates in the investigation of accidents and injuries.
- Coordinates training programs which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness. Maintains files and records on training.
- Responsible for providing training, coaching and leadership to all personnel on the use and practice of Lean principles and waste reduction tools: 6S, Kaizen, Visual Factory, Value Stream Mapping, and Standardized Work.
- Provide support management in the development of a problem solving / waste reduction culture at all levels of the plant organization.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the 6S program for optimal workplace organization
- Work with all departments to analyze established designs to optimize efficient use of materials, space, machines and people.
- Identify opportunities, coordinate, and execute continuous improvement events in conjunction with value streams to eliminate waste and add value.
- Actively participate in and/or lead process improvement (Kaizen) teams to get cross-functional ideas and support process improvements.
- Deliver relevant training / presentations to facilitate and sustain improvement activities.
- Constantly seeks, shares, and implements best practices.
- Offers support to the 6S Committee.
- Responsible for maintaining a 6S Audit log including the creation of audit assignments and tracking of 6S scores.
- Manages 6S training materials, including format checklists, audit forms and visual controls.
- Notify and work with site management team to resolve 6S / Lean roadblocks.
- Maintain daily interaction with facility leadership.
- Maintain daily contact with shop floor and office personnel.